The No-Withdrawal Antibiotic for Sheep
NAXCEL® (ceftiofur sodium) Sterile Powder means greater peace of mind for sheep producers fighting pneumonia (ovine respiratory disease) in their flocks. NAXCEL is a safe, highly effective first-line antibiotic. A single dose of NAXCEL every day for three days reduces body temperature and kills pneumonia pathogens fast. Its low-volume dosage and aqueous formulation help meet quality assurance guidelines. And unlike penicillin, NAXCEL requires no milk discard or meat withdrawal.
NAXCEL is indicated for treatment of pneumonia (ovine respiratory disease) associated with Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica and Pasteurella multocida.
Used as directed, NAXCEL:
- is fast and effective - establishes therapeutic concentrations within minutes and continues to exceed MIC90 throughout the treatment period
- reduces fever fast
- controls both of the major pathogens involved with ovine bacterial pneumonia
- requires no pre-slaughter withdrawal
- requires no milk discard in sheep
- has a small-volume IM dose that is fast and easy on sheep
- has an aqueous base for greater syringeability and less injection site irritation
NAXCEL Sterile Powder is available in a 1-gram vial or 4-gram vial.
Administer by intramuscular injection at the dosage of 0.5 to 1.0 mg ceftiofur equivalents/lb body weight (1 to 2 mL reconstituted sterile solution per 100 lb body weight) every 24 hours for 3 consecutive days.
As with all drugs, NAXCEL should not be used in animals found to be hypersensitive to the product. NAXCEL has a pre-slaughter withdrawal time of 4 days in cattle.
CAUTION: Federal (USA) law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
Material Safety Data Sheet
Back to top
entire article (printer friendly)